Thank you very much for visiting my website. In case you are interested probabilistic analysis and structural engineering I am always looking for bright and motivated students to join my research team. I supervise students in the MASc and PhD programs in the Department of Civil Engineering at UBC Vancouver. Graduate Research Assistant positions are limited and highly competitive, partly because I maintain a moderately sized research group so that I can work closely with each student. Students who pursue and receive funding through outside scholarships or fellowships greatly increase their chance of admission.
Minimum qualifications for applicants include a bachelor’s degree in engineering, and also a master’s degree for PhD applicants, with high marks from a reputable institution. International applicants should have good English skills with minimum TOEFL or IELTS scores of 110 or 7.5, respectively. If you would like to join my team then please do the following:
- Review the graduate admission information for the UBC Department of Civil Engineering posted here.
- Review some titles publications and seminars posted on this website to ensure that we have common research interests.
- Contact me by email with:
- A subject line of “Prospective Student for the Research Group of Professor Haukaas.”
- A brief one-paragraph statement of your interests and qualifications in the body of the email.
- A brief one-paragraph summary of how you see probabilistic analysis, performance-based engineering, lifecycle considerations, etc. used in the future in structural engineering.
- A CV as a PDF attachment.
Thank you for your interest!
Professor Terje Haukaas